Budget Statement 2020
Ian Lavery, Member of Parliament for Wansbeck has today called for the Government to take the following 5 vital steps needed to help the Economy recover following the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- The immediate introduction of a Universal Basic Income for everyone in the country to ensure peace of mind and that nobody who is unwell is forced into work putting whole communities at risk.
2. A significant wage rise and improved conditions for our wonderful Key Workers. Here in Wansbeck there are more than 7,000 people paid below the living wage and nationally a million frontline carers are paid below this. Its time they got a pay rise!
3. Real support for our high streets with capital investment in facilities and infrastructure to promote footfall. Monies to create “working local” hubs so people who are able and wish to can work in the centre of towns rather than from home. Money to support clustering of public services and public sector workers on the high street. Using the technology available to smash up whitehall departments and to cluster hundreds of jobs in post-industrial town centres with incentives for businesses to follow suit.
4. A capital fund to start a Green Industrial revolution in the UK, post-pandemic targeted at our held back towns and villages. Our communities that powered the first industrial age through coal need support to be rebuilt with green technologies and community ownership of the green energy they create.
5. Comprehensive financial support package for Voluntary Community Groups and Charities. Many of whom have done extraordinary work during the COVID-19 Pandemic and are at risk of not being able to continue. The community spirit so evident during the crisis can not be lost and we must vow to let none fail.